James D. Horwitz
James Horwitz joined FitzGerald Morris Baker Firth as an Of Counsel attorney in August 2016 to expand the firm’s practice into healthcare law. Mr. Horwitz has previously served as Vice President of Corporate Responsibility and General Counsel at Glens Falls Hospital, with extensive experience in compliance matters, contract review and negotiation, and Article 28 guardianships. Also during his tenure at Glens Falls hospital, Mr. Horwitz established comprehensive in-house legal services that provided legal assistance in areas as diverse as patient care, employment, medical staff, and corporate matters. He has been a frequent speaker for New York State Bar Association programs on matters of health law, and has also been a speaker at the Health Care Compliance Association national meetings.
Mr. Horwitz is admitted to practice in New York and Massachusetts.
Mr. Horwitz earned his Juris Doctor cum laude from the Western New England College of Law. He received his undergraduate degree from Union College, where he returned as an adjunct professor for six years.
Mr. Horwitz is a member of the New York State Bar Association, the American Health Lawyers Association, and serves as a Board Member for High Peaks Hospice and EAP of Warren County.
- “What is Article 81? Commencing An Article 81 Proceeding”, Lecture for the Warren County Bar Association, March 12, 2013
- “The New Electronic Age: Social Media HIPAA Compliance and Legal Liabilities”, Lecture for The Conference That Counts, March 14, 2011
- “Health Care Compliance Fraud and Abuse”, Lecture for the New York State Bar Association, April 16, 2010
- “Implementing New York State’s Mandatory Compliance Programs a Year Later: OMIG and Provider Perspective”, Health Care Compliance Association’s 14th Annual Compliance Institute, April 20, 2010
- “Managing Hospital/Physician Financial Relationships”, Health Care Compliance Association’s 13th Annual Compliance Institute, April 27, 2009
- “Patient Capacity and the Discharge Process”, Iroquois Healthcare Alliance’s Quality & Patient Safety Education & Networking Forum, October 8, 2009
- “State and Federal Compliance Issues”, Lecture to the Healthcare Financial Management Association, April 18, 2007
- “Legal Issues in Behavioral Health in New York”, Lecture for Medical Educational Services, Inc., November 28, 2007
- Represented large specialty physician groups in successful transition from private practice to employment model integration with large health systems
- Represented hospital health systems in successful transition of large cardiology groups and primary care practices from private practice to employment model integration with hospital
- Collaborated with medical staff in spearheading the creation and approval of new Medical Staff Bylaws, Credentialing Procedures Manual and a Fair Hearing Plan
- Assisted clients in self-disclosures to U.S. Attorney’s Office, Office of Medicaid Inspector General and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Spearheaded and collaborated with hospital client in successful response to several EMTALA statements of deficiency
- Extensive experience in drafting and reviewing physician recruitment, directorship, and exclusive contract agreements
Civic Activities (Boards/Memberships)
- Business First PAC
- TD Banknorth
- Adirondack Regional Business Incubator, Inc.
- Queensbury Economic Development Corporation
- Glens Falls Country Club
- Tri-County United Way
- Warren-Washington Counties Mental Health Council
- Warren-Washington Counties Council on Alcoholism & Substance Abuse