Carl Baker is a Partner, leading the firm’s Trusts and Estates practice group, with concentration in estate planning, wills and trusts, estate tax issues, and elder law . Mr. Baker joined the firm as an Associate Attorney in 1978, and was named a Partner in 1983. He has been named in Upstate New York Super Lawyers since 2007, The Best Lawyers in America since 1995, and Who’s Who in American Law, 7th Edition.
Mr. Baker is admitted to practice in New York, and is also admitted to the United States District Court, Northern District of New York.
Mr. Baker earned his Juris Doctor from the Albany Law School of Union University. He received his undergraduate degree from Cornell University.
Mr. Baker is a member of and has served in leadership roles for the New York State Bar Association (Chair of the Trusts and Estate Law Section (2013), former Vice-Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, Representative to the Executive Committee of Fourth Judicial District and past Chair of the Committee on Practice and Ethics). In addition, he is a member of the American Bar Association (Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section), the Estate Planning Council of Eastern New York, and served as that body’s President from 1993 to 1994. He is also a member of the Warren County Bar Association.
- New Attorney Advertising Regulations: Commentary and Observations, Trusts and Estates Law Section Newsletter, Summer 2007, Vol. 40, No. 2, pages 6-11
- The Estate Settlement Representation Letter and “Selling” Your Services, Trusts and Estates Law Section Newsletter, Spring 2004, Vol. 37, No. 1, pages 30-34
- The New York Estate Tax (6/30/95), chapter for Probate and Administration of New York Estates
- Will Drafting Fundamentals, Committee on Continuing Legal Education, New York, 1996, revised 2007 (Estate Planning and Will Drafting Course Book)
- How to Use Life Insurance and Annuities in Estate Planning, Committee on Continuing Legal Education, New York, 1984.
- New York State Bar Association
- Continuing Legal Education Programs (frequent speaker in the areas of Estate Planning and Estate Settlements)
- Planned Giving Council of Glens Falls Hospital
- Local organizations and meetings
Mr. Baker serves on the Planned Giving Council of Glens Falls Hospital (Member since 1994, Chair, 1996-2000) and is a member of the Kiwanis Club of Glens Falls (President, 1985-1986); the Glens Falls Kiwanis Foundation (Secretary 2010-2012); the Board of Governors of Glens Falls Hospital (1995-2006); the Glens Falls Hospital Foundation (Trustee 1996-2007, Chair 2005); the Glens Falls YMCA Legacy Club Committee; the Widowed Persons Service of Greater Glens Falls Area (Director 1984-1999; Treasurer 1984-1998; President 1998-1999); Compre-Care, Inc. (Director 1993-2000); and the WAMC Gift Planning Advisory Committee.